Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Don't Like March 21st!


Eventhough it's traditionally the first day of Spring - and I DO love springtime . . . I've dreaded March 21st for forty years now.  It was a gorgeous Sunday morning (and the first day of Spring) when Momma died so unexpectedly in 1971, leaving a hole in our hearts that will never fully heal.  Even after all these years, I'm inevitably in a sort of funk this time of year & it usually takes me a few days to figure out exactly what's going on.

This year seems to have been extra weird . . . very much like a roller coaster ride, or maybe I'm just being more "sensitive" to things for some reason.  There have been some bright spots . . . Lara's feeling quite a bit better, we're making some good progress on the kitchen, and Dave & I went to a totally delightful party at Paul & Milli's this weekend to celebrate their anniversary. Heck, Amanda even came to visit the other day, and that ALWAYS makes me perk up.  Most of all, though, I've been soooo looking forward to Jann coming to visit today . . . we were planning to go see Mary & crew in Houston and maybe even drop in on Sue for a little visit with her.

But I should have known something was a little extra squirrelly this year when the earth's axis shifted, our sprinklers came on by themselves in the middle of the night (and chose to water only one station), I had a toothache in the place where I had a root canal done 35 years ago, and my hip started aching like I'd been hit with a sledge hammer!

Then, the coup de grace . . . we decided yesterday (that blasted March 21st!) that Jann isn't coming to visit after all! She has some sort of respiratory-sinus-or-some-combination-thereof infection, and Mary & I actually discouraged her from coming. Since it's barely been six months since she was hospitalized with double pneumonia, I'm thinking it wouldn't be wise of her to get on an airplane filled with who-knows-what germs only to spend the next week wearing herself out and ending up sicker than ever. Besides which, Mary begrudgingly admitted that her back was hurting so much that she's been going to physical therapy for a couple of weeks . . . and my hip hurts so much that I'm actually going to make a doctor's appointment!  So, we would have been quite the interesting trio traipsing around Houston like three little old ladies about to keel over any minute . . . AND trying to keep up with a 13 month old baby in the process.  It really is hell getting old, but we'll all rebound soon and will just reschedule the trip for later - we're not THAT old!!

Meanwhile, I haven't scrapped in probably a month & I do believe I need some creative therapy to get myself back on track!  I certainly won't find myself short of motivation . . . besides the monthly portfolio at Sweet Shoppe, Scrapadilly's March crop is in full swing. This month, we're "Scrappin' It Green," and - as usual - Drea has come up with plenty of terrific challenges.  I was disappointed that I was going to miss all the festivities, but it looks like I'll be able to take part after all.  I guess that's the silver lining to this cloud of disappointment I'm standing under right now.

Besides that, it IS spring & the 21st is gone for another year . . . so, my plan is to start fresh - just like the season itself!!

No comments: