Friday, May 14, 2010

Still Rockin' After All These Years


I'm so far behind on this blog and have about a dozen things I need to post about - but I'm short on time right now, so I decided to do a quick post about one of Joe's treasures.

The subject of jukeboxes came up today, and I couldn't help but think of the 1948 Christmas Edition Rockola we had when we were growing up.  It quit working decades ago & lay buried under all sorts of tools and egg cartons full of golf balls for who-knows-how-many years in our old garage on Polk Street.  I truly thought I'd seen the last of that sucker until I was at Joe's house not long ago and saw the resurrected version sitting right there in his living room!

He's replaced the old 78's with CD's and the original lighting system with strings of Christmas lights - plus he's added a few extra embellishments (like Rhinoceri & NASCAR memorabilia).  
But the labels are exactly like they were when we first got it so long ago, and it is surprisingly reassuring to know that this tangible little piece of our childhood still lives on.

1 comment:

MilliD said...

That's so COOL!!