Monday, January 10, 2011

My Word

Carl Fredricksen & Dug the Dog from Pixar's "Up"

I have a word this year.  It's certainly not a new word, but it's one I need to plant firmly in view and think about often.  FOCUS.

If you've ever seen the movie "Up", you'll know what I mean when I say that I frequently have Dug moments - heck, even hours or sometimes entire days.  (If for some reason you haven't seen this movie, take my word for it - you SHOULD!)  With my penchant for getting distracted by "squirrels" and all manner of other things, it's a wonder I'm even remotely productive - and, truth be told, my habit of flying off in twenty different directions at once is precisely why I named my blog Quantum Leaps.   

I've always kind of had this problem, but it's gotten seriously out of hand lately.  Used to, I took occasional little side trips but still managed to get quite a lot accomplished.  And sure, I might have digressed in the middle of a conversation, but I did eventually get to the point I was trying to make. These days, I seem to spend almost all my time chasing squirrels & not nearly enough staying en pointe long enough to get anything finished.  

So, I've decided it's necessary to make some changes . . . in 2011, I am going to re-learn how to focus!  Because of my natural tendencies and the fact that I've gotten really slow, that means I'm gonna have to de-clutter, simplify, and purge a lot of the unnecessary "stuff" in my life.  But I'm more than willing to do that if it means possibly returning to my once ultra-organized, queen-of-multi-tasking, OCD self :-)

To help FOCUS on my goal, I did this page for a challenge at Sweet Shoppe Designs, which is (big surprise!) where I got most of the elements used in the layout.  

 (as always, if you click the link in my sidebar, you can go to my Flickr gallery for a full list of credits).  

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go focus on de-cluttering a few things . . .  

No comments: