Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Nod to My Scrappin' Muse


I was asked a question the other day about how I've evolved as a scrapper & how I got started in the first place. That set me to thinking about how instrumental one person has been in making me the addict I am today. No, it's not Becky Higgins or Ali Edwards or even Tim Holtz . . . none of the usual luminaries that spring to mind when scrappers are asked who inspires them most. It's none other than my BFF, Milli!!

(She might even shoot me for posting this picture, but just the fact that she posed for it in the first place is one of the many reasons I love her.  Besides, it helps keep this post from being too much on the "cherishy" side!)

Like a lot of other folks, I sort of starting scrapping in the late 90's after being invited to a Creative Memories party.  But I really didn't accomplish much there except to mutilate nearly every decent snapshot I had of Bill & Amanda growing up . . . you know, cutting them into heart shapes and such, surrounding them with little pieces of b-o-r-i-n-g construction paper, and slapping Mrs. Grossman's stickers all over the page.  And that's right where I was stuck until Milli came along!

We had both moved to the same neighborhood in 2000 and become friends, but we didn't realize until about 6 years ago that we were both scrappers (and I use the term loosely to describe myself).  I can say with no hesitation that THEN was when I really began to scrap in earnest.  Milli opened a whole new universe to me . . . products & techniques I knew nothing about, scrapbooking magazines, places to shop and take classes (both online & off) - and last, but certainly not least, blogs & message boards.

With each new step, Milli has been there not only to introduce me to new things but to encourage me and boost my confidence.  After much cajoling, she finally convinced me a couple of years ago to post one of my layouts in an online gallery.  Yet again, new worlds opened before me  - and after a while doing that, I began to notice some really cool layouts that were done digitally.  Fascinated by them, I wanted to learn more - so I plunked down a few bucks for Photoshop Elements and signed up for some online classes.  Hellooooooo Jessica Sprague and Pattie Knox and Linda Sattgast . . . and all the folks who offer free tutorials (way too many to list & I know I haven't even discovered them all)!

My foray into the The Dark Side (as digital scrapping is sometimes known to its detractors) is about the only scrapping step I've taken where Milli wasn't holding my hand tightly.  She's sticking with paper, and I'm pretty much converted to digi for my layouts - but just because we aren't using the same medium does NOT mean that we will part ways.  We've still got our mini albums and cards, both of which You-Know-Who taught me all about . . . and we'll ALWAYS have our retreats and shopping expeditions.  And who knows what's on the horizon?  There will most likely be some innovative way to scrap headed down the pike, and chances are Milli's going to be the one to tell me about it and help me do a little more exploring!!

2 comments:

MilliD said...

OMG You give me waaaaaay too much credit! (By the way, I did laugh out loud when I saw that picture!)

I had no idea you thought I was leading the way; my memory is of YOU leading the way (especially when it came to Tim Holtz stuff)! Either way, thanks for the kind words! I, um, cherish your friendship... :-)

Me said...

Great photo and what an awesome description of your 'addictions'.